OS X 10.12 (Sierra) Temporary Workaround for AIJ

OS X 10.12 (Sierra) Temporary Workaround for AIJ

karenacollins
Administrator
This post was updated on .
AIJ is not currently compatible with OS X 10.12 (Sierra), unless you have temporary superuser access to the OS. To resolve this problem, a signed version of AIJ will eventually be released.

1) If you haven't already, Install AIJ by unzipping the install file and dragging the resulting AstroImageJ folder to the Applications folder.

Workaround:
2) Open the Terminal app from the /Applications/Utilities/ folder and then enter the following command syntax: sudo spctl --master-disable
3) Hit return and authenticate with an admin password.
4) Relaunch System Preferences and go to “Security & Privacy” and the “General” tab.
5) You will now see the “Anywhere” option under “Allow apps downloaded from:”. Select this option.
6) Make a copy of /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ64.app on the desktop. An easy way to do that is hold down the alt key while dragging AstroImageJ64.app from the /Applications/AstroImageJ folder to the desktop.
7) Delete the original copy of AstroImageJ64.app that is still in the /Applications/AstroImageJ folder.
8) Drag the copy of AstroImageJ64.app from the desktop back to the /Applications/AstroImageJ folder.
9) Start AIJ and set up your memory settings as needed.
10) Close AIJ.
11) After running AIJ the first time, enter the following command syntax to reenable GateKeeper (AIJ will continue to work normally): sudo spctl --master-enable

Re: OS X 10.12 (Sierra) Temporary Workaround for AIJ

brianrhill
This post was updated on .
This installation workaround went just as you documented on macOS (Sierra) 10.12 (10.12.2, specifically), although I got an error message when I bumped the memory size (the app is trying to write to a read-only sandboxed copy of itself).

My main problem, possibly also related to the sandboxing, is that the toolbar stops with the color picker (dropper) tool. To the right of the dropper where page 7 of your manual shows additional AstroImageJ tools, there are just eight blank, inactive buttons.

Edit: After reading the issues that Walter Glowgowski had on 10.12, they sound remarkably similar to mine. The installation workaround (`sudo sudo spctl --master-disable`, etc.) really only got me past the initial "Application is damaged" problem.

Re: OS X 10.12 (Sierra) Temporary Workaround for AIJ

karenacollins
Administrator
Thanks for the report. Apple has apparently now added more fun. There
are some simple extra steps that will make it work again. The original
post above has been edited to include the extra steps. If you have
already completed the original workaround, you should be able to just
make a copy of /Applications/AstroImageJ/AstroImageJ64.app on the
desktop. An easy way to do that is hold down the <alt> key while
dragging AstroImageJ64.app from the /Applications/AstroImageJ folder to
the desktop. Then delete the original copy of AstroImageJ64.app that is
still in the /Applications/AstroImageJ folder. Finally, drag the copy of
AstroImageJ64.app from the desktop back to the /Applications/AstroImageJ
folder.

Now try starting AIJ and check your AIJ specific toolbar icons and your
ability to set your memory allocation.

It sounds like a ridiculous additional step to work around a security
issue, but it worked for me. Please confirm that it works for you as well.

Karen

Re: OS X 10.12 (Sierra) Temporary Workaround for AIJ

brianrhill
Dear Karen,

With your additional steps, the installation works perfectly.

By the way, I am now on macOS 10.12.3, released by Apple on January 23rd, 2017, and I followed your steps using that version.

Thanks for coming up with this! It really wouldn't have occurred to me.

~Brian