Opening Rice compressed FITS

zemogle
I've been trying to open Rice compressed files but without success. I wonder if you had any plans to add this functionality.

I work for Las Cumbres Observatory and all of our archive is Rice compressed. Some of our software engineers have updated a similar package to AstroImageJ (SalsaJ) so it can open FZ files, using the nom.tam.fits library. You can see the commit history on GitHub (https://github.com/SalsaJ/SalsaJ) if that's helpful.

We have around 1500 users and would love them to be able to use AstroImageJ with our data. Please let me know if I can help make this happen.

Thanks!

Edward

Re: Opening Rice compressed FITS

karenacollins
Administrator
Hi Edward,

Thanks for pointing out that apparently the Rice decompression code has been ported to Java, and specifically that it
has been merged with SalsaJ. This will be an important new feature for AIJ, but it may take me a month or so to get time
to look into the implementation.

Thanks again for making this suggested improvement to AIJ!

Karen

Re: Opening Rice compressed FITS

zemogle
HI Karen,

Wonderful news! Please let me know if you need any help. Some of my software engineer colleagues helped the SalsaJ folks by doing the integration with the nom.tam.fits. I'm sure they would be more than happy to help out again.

Edward

On 31 May 2017 at 12:02, karenacollins [via AstroImageJ] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Edward,

Thanks for pointing out that apparently the Rice decompression code has been ported to Java, and specifically that it
has been merged with SalsaJ. This will be an important new feature for AIJ, but it may take me a month or so to get time
to look into the implementation.

Thanks again for making this suggested improvement to AIJ!

Karen

http://astroimagej.1065399.n5.nabble.com/Opening-Rice-compressed-FITS-tp686p687.html
To unsubscribe from Opening Rice compressed FITS, click here.
NAML

--
Dr Edward Gomez
Education Director - Las Cumbres Observatory