Reports that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems running under MacOS 10.13

Reports that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems running under MacOS 10.13

karenacollins
Administrator
A user has reported that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems when running under MacOS 10.13. If you depend on AIJ for your work, I would recommend *not* upgrading until this issue is either resolved by an Apple update or and AIJ/ImageJ fix.

If you have upgraded to MacOS 10.13, please report here if problems are found, or if everything works fine.

AIJ user wvinton reports the following problems with MacOS 10.13 (thank you!):

Not able to type values into various dialogue boxes (e.g. the "Analyze / Multi-Aperture..." dialogue.)  However, values can be changed via the sliders in the Multi-Aperture dialogue.

Re: Reports that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems running under MacOS 10.13

karenacollins
Administrator
I noticed this note on the ImageJ message board this evening. Could an AIJ user running High Sierra try these updates to see if they fix the AIJ problems as well?
Date:    Thu, 2 Nov 2017 09:35:47 +0100
From:    Jean-Christophe AME
Subject: ImageJ and Fiji menus are back

Hi All,
just to inform the community that the menus of ImageJ1 and Fiji are back with the new final release 10.13.1 as well with the first beta 10.13.2.

Also Apple released a new version of Java6 compatible with High Sierra, search for Apple Java6 2017-001.
Sincerely,
Jean-Christophe

Re: Reports that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems running under MacOS 10.13

Willie
Hello Karen,

I also have discovered this problem with not being able to enter data in fields, specifically in apertures and in the Curve Fitting field.  I have not tried to find other locations.  I have just been getting by by typing what I want in notepad and then copying and pasting it into the field. That works in the meantime.

I am running MacOS 10.13.1 and have installed Apple Java6 2017-001, but I also upgraded to the latest Java after that.  I have also deleted and reinstalled AIJ as well as upgrade to the latest daily build.

I will keep trying various combinations.

Willie

Willie Strickland
Meyer Observatory

Re: Reports that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems running under MacOS 10.13

karenacollins
Administrator
Hi Willie,

I have seen the text field issue reported on the ImageJ forum as well. My understanding is that it is an interaction problem between Java and High Sierra, so I am hoping that Apple will provide a fix.

Thanks for reporting the workaround!

Karen

Re: Reports that AIJ (and ImageJ) have problems running under MacOS 10.13

wvinton
I have found a klugey work-around for the inability to enter data into fields in 10.13.

If you open Text Edit and type in the value that is desired, and copy that value, you can paste it into the data field over the old value, and it works fine.

It's awkward, but it works.

I haven't tried the work-around suggested above yet - will give them a try.