Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 with JRE 9 installation

Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 with JRE 9 installation

VTVL
After an upgrade from Ubuntu 16.04 to 16.04.1 where Java JRE 9 and SDK 9 were installed,  AstroImageJ 3.2.0 was downloaded and installed but running it failed.  The message is:

~$ astroimagej
#
#
#  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fdedeca2009, pid=7804, tid=7832
#
# JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (9.0) (build 9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195246.buildd.src)
# Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (9-internal+0-2016-04-14-195246.buildd.src, mixed mode, tiered, compressed oops, g1 gc, linux-amd64)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [libjava.so+0x1d009]  JNU_GetEnv+0x19
#
# Core dump will be written. Default location: Core dumps may be processed with "/usr/share/apport/apport %p %s %c %P" (or dumping to /usr/local/AstroImageJ/core.7804)
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# /usr/local/AstroImageJ/hs_err_pid7804.log
#
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#
Aborted (core dumped)

Previous to JRE 9 , AstroImageJ worked with JRE 8.

Re: Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 with JRE 9 installation

karenacollins
Administrator
Would you be able to revert to JRE 8? We are currently not equipped to
debug/support your new configuration. As FYI, I have asked a person that
has more expertise with Linux than I do, and I will post more if I learn
any additional info.

Karen

Re: Ubuntu MATE 16.04.1 with JRE 9 installation

karenacollins
Administrator
My collaborator with more linux experience offered the info provided below. I think the best plan is to install Java 8 if possible and give Java 9 more time to mature.
Googling around on the error message returns similar errors abound in early releases of previous JDK's.  Probably the solution for now is to regress to 8 if possible.   The other recommendation out there is to use the Oracle Java instead of OpenJDK if that's an option.

It is possible he installed Oracle JDK 9 which is said to be a development version in this link, but it is a year old.

https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-java-with-apt-get-on-ubuntu-16-04

Googling with the specific library failure turns up a similar bug report for a game

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-9/+bug/1551532

I think it is likely this is a Java JDK/JRE error and the solution is to use another flavor of Java.
Thanks johnk!